The wait is (sort of) over!!! I have heard great news from both the University of South Florida and St. Cloud State University. Is everyone ready?! I have been ACCEPTED to both masters programs in Gerontology! So, the waiting game was interrupted for that bit of good news, but its back on again as I play phone tag, send emails, and wait patiently for more information from the graduate colleges at these universities.
Something I have learned quickly in the last two weeks is I have been so focused on the application process and worried about acceptance that I forgot to think about what to do once I receive news from the programs! I realize now that I have no clue where to go with this news! I am currently researching each program more in depth and completing the necessary paperwork for assistantships, and hoping I am doing everything I need to be doing! My parents and I are trying to coordinate a visit to each school in the next couple of weeks. If all goes well, I will be in Florida for my 23rd birthday!
Both options are equally appealing for various reasons. Those of you who know me best may know that are far as climates are concerned I would rather experience all four seasons in Minnesota then struggle through the heat in Florida (which may surprise those of you who don't know me so well!) But, there are other, more important factors to consider. Quality of program and opportunities for teaching and research experience have been, and do remain my number one determining factors. In Florida, the program is larger and has many opportunities for research. There is even a doctorate program...not to put the cart before the horse, its just good to think about these things. In Minnesota the program may be smaller, but it is not lacking in opportunities and definitely would provide a wonderful education and get me all set up to continue on after my masters.
Also, throughout the entire experience I am beginning to realize that bigger is not always better. I have had some wonderful contacts with individuals from each program, but by far the best and most positive communication I have had is in working with Dr. Greenberg from St. Cloud State. She has been extremely helpful and available to me throughout the entire application process. If nothing else, I have learned that she really does care about all her students (current, past, and future), and I would be in good hands with her as a mentor.
So, now comes the time to make decisions. I will continue to pray about my decisions and hopefully feel confident when I finally do choose. I feel extremely blessed to be in this situation of having to choose. I will keep the posts coming regarding my decisions and any additional news from the universities. Thanks to all of those who have supported me in this process and who continue to have an active role in furthering my education! So excited for what's next!
Love you! I just know you'll make the right decision! Hugs from us all!
ReplyDelete