Monday, April 16, 2012

So...what is it anyway?

In the fall I will begin my masters.  And while many things are still uncertain, I feel confident in my decision to study Gerontology.  When I tell people this I am greeted, first, with a flash of nonrecognition and then one of two things happen.  The person may say something along the lines of "Oh, wow, that's great! (insert big smile and change of subject...most likely back to how much they wish they could move to Florida)"  Or, for those who really want to know, "What is that?!?"

I always prefer the later of the two reactions.  I really love what I am studying so its no surprise that I would love to discuss it with others.  And, the truth is, we all know what Gerontology is even if we don't know what it is called.  So, for those of you who are still wondering, let me explain.

Gerontology is the study of the aging processes and individuals as they grow from middle age through later life. It includes:
  1. the study of physical, mental, and social changes in older people as they age
  2. the investigation of the changes in society resulting from our aging population
  3. the application of this knowledge to policies and programs. As a result of the multidisciplinary focus of gerontology, professionals from diverse fields call themselves "gerontologists"


As you can imagine, there is so much I can do with this degree and I have not settled on one thing yet.  What I do know is this, I would love to work with individuals who are battling dementia.  I can remember the first time I learned about this awful disease.  I was still in high school and I watched an informational documentary on PBS (probably the only 16 year old still watching PBS, but who knew there was some much more than just Sesame Street?!).  But I learned something on that day.  I learned I feared something even more than dying.  I thought to myself, how could one bare to live in a body with a failing brain!?   I mean, these people were loosing their memories and abilities to think and process information, and it was taking years and years for this to happen!  I took something else from this video too, I decided right then and there that I never want to work with the elderly.  I told myself it would be the saddest thing on earth to deal with this day in and day out and asked myself why anyone would subject themselves to such pain.

Ok, so by now you may be a little confused.  "I thought she did want to work with old people with dementia?!"  Well, I do...but a lot has happened since that day and I can explain the change of heart.  So bare with me.  Enter, college.

I started at UNI as a deciding major knowing two things...no way in heck will I ever work with kids or old people(again with the old people!).  By the way, there is still no way I will ever work with kids!  In my last few semesters at UNI I spent time volunteering in an assisted living dementia care facility for a class I was taking at the time.  I faced my fear and showed up for day one of my volunteer experience ready to learn but completely expecting to dislike it.  I jumped in with both feet and before I knew it, I was declaring a minor in Gerontology and signing up for more volunteer experiences.  I was cancelling my plans to continue after graduation in a Student Affairs graduate program, and I was searching for jobs within the gerontology field.

I took a break from school for a year and here I am.  After much deliberation and researching, I am confident in my decision, and could not be happier to go back to school!  I may be getting ahead of myself, but I am already making plans for a doctorate.  I am anxious to start doing some research, and would love to one day travel the world (something I have always wanted to do!) and teach people about Alzheimer's.          

No comments:

Post a Comment